Kota Kinabalu
Kota Kinabalu
Lahad Datu
Kota Belud

Sayang Sabah - The voice of Sabahans

Shouts made a Kiram family member bolt

The site
The site

KOTA KINABALU_ A member of the Kiram family was captured after he bolted at the shouts of a policeman, the High Court here was told today.

Sub-Inspector Talib Sahib, who was then a sniper with the Special Action Unit (UTK), said it was about 1.30 am on March 23, 2013.

He said he saw Datu Amir Bahar Hushin Kiram, one of 30 accused in the Lahad Datu intrusion trial, walking with two others from a house which was being watched by a UTK team and shouted “Down. Police. Police”.

“I observed the movements of the three of them heading towards my location where I was hiding. I let them passed me by at a distance of two to five metres. Then, I shouted ‘Down. Police. Police’,” he said, adding that the three individuals were walking in a single file with one man in front, a woman in the
middle and another man at the back.

Soon after he shouted, Talib said the trio attempted to flee and he chased them for about 20 metres before he managed to apprehend the man who was earlier seen walking behind the woman.

“I jumped on the man and he fell to the ground, with two bags in his right hand,” he said.

Talib, who is now an escort to the Home Affairs Minister, said he instructed the man to squat and then, called out for help to other police personnel nearby.

He said ASP Mohammad Khairani Khalid, Corporal Fitri Rahman and Corporal Azri Muji came to his aid.

“I asked Tuan Khairani and Corporal Fitri to guard the man I captured and I took Corporal Azri to chase after the other two persons who had escaped into the bushes,” he added.

However, Talib said he gave up after chasing them for about 50 metres “because it was too dark and the bushes were too thick” and then returned to the place where he had arrested the first man and called out for assistance from other assault teams.

“At that moment, ACP Hazani Ghazali (UTK operations leader) was the first to
arrive and I told him that I had arrested a man, while two others fled into the
bushes,” he added.

Talib said Hazani then immediately called out to the other assault teams to look for the two escapees, while he (Hazani) interrogated the man that he (Talib) had arrested.

“ACP Hazani asked the man his name in English and the man said ‘My name is Datu Amir Bahar’. That was when I knew the man that I had captured was the man that was wanted by the police,” he said.

In the dock are 27 Filipinos and three local residents who are facing one to multiple charges of being members of a terrorist group, waging war against the Yang di-Pertuan Agong, recruiting members for a terrorist group or wilfully harbouring individuals they knew to be members of a terrorist group.

They allegedly committed the offences between Feb 12 and April 10, 2013.

The hearing before Justice Stephen Chung continues tomorrow at the Sabah Prisons Department. – BERNAMA


Berita Berkaitan