KUALA LUMPUR: Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak said he is shocked and appalled to hear that two Malaysians were reported to have been involved in suicide bombings in Iraq and Syria, resulting in the loss of more than 30 innocent lives.
In a post on his Facebook account today, Najib said their actions and ideology had no place in Malaysia or Islam, and the government was absolutely committed to fighting terrorism in all its forms and guises, both at home and
“We will spare no effort to find out how and why these young men were able to commit these atrocious acts, and will take all measures necessary to prevent others from doing so in the future,” he said.
According to a news report today, two Malaysian suicide bombers blew themselves up, killing more than 30 people in Syria and Iraq last week.
Terengganu-born Mohd Amirul Ahmad Rahim, 26, set off the bombs that he had on him and in the car he was in during clashes at the IS militant stronghold of Raqqa, Syria, on December 29, the news report said.
Mohamad Syazwan Mohd Salim, 31, who carried out his mission on the night of January 3, was one of seven suicide bombers who had made their way to a police training centre at Speicher military base, some 160km north of Baghdad, Iraq.- BERNAMA