SANDAKAN: It was lights out for a double-story lamp and electrical appliances shop when it was destroyed in a blaze at Batu 6, Bandar Tyng near here early today.
In the 3.57am incident, an assortment of lamps and electrical appliances was also destroyed.
A team of 15 firemen from the Sandakan Fire and Rescue Department prevented the fire from spreading to adjoining buildings, which also included the Sandakan Bernama bureau.
The department chief, Haikal Jammy Ngali Abdullah said the firemen managed to put out the blaze more than two hours later, using water from a nearby fire hydrant.
Meanwhile, the shop proprietor’s wife said the outlet was closed at 3pm yesterday. The woman who declined to be identified said her family incurred big losses in the fire.
She said the shop was expected to resume operation in six months.- BERNAMA