KUALA LUMPUR: Police today refuted a local newspaper report claiming they did not investigate comprehensively the fights at the Low Yat Plaza here over the weekendy.
Kuala Lumpur Police chief Datuk Tajudin Md Isa said police had conducted a detailed investigation on the incidents which encompassed theft, rioting, vandalism and sedition other than identifying the actual cause of the conflagration.
“Kuala Lumpur Police had opened an investigation paper on the theft case with a suspect charged under Section 379 of the penal Code. In addition, five individuals were arrested under Section 147 and Section
427 of the Penal Code for rioting and vandalism while another individual was arrested under Section 4(1) of the Sedition Act,” he said in a statement.
He also urged the people especially non-governmental organisations not to issue statements which could interfere in police investigation.
“I also urge the public to go to the nearest police station if they have any information related to the incident so that investigations conducted are transparent and cover all aspects,” he said.
On Saturday, a fight took place at Low Yat Plaza which was allegedly caused by unhappiness on the part of a man who was accused of stealing a cellphone.
The security guards at the mall handed the man to the police. Subsequently, the man’s friend contacted their other friends and resorted to beating up the worker there and vandalising items in the shop resulting in a RM70,000 loss.
On Sunday, it was estimated that hundreds of people, believed to be friends of the man who was detained by the police, gathered in front of the plaza from 8 pm, and a riot broke out which dragged into the wee hours.
So far , police have detained 25 individuals who are believed to be connected to the chaos at Low Yat Plaza.- BERNAMA