KOTA KINABALU: Outgoing Sabah Police Commissioner Datuk Jalaluddin Abdul Rahman hopes his successor will continue with the
implementation of his ‘brainchild’ – the night curfew – in the waters off the Eastern Sabah Security Zone (ESSZone).
He said the curfew was an important measure in ensuring security in ESSZone.
“If we do not go on with it (night curfew), to me, it will make it difficult for agencies under the Eastern Sabah Security Command (ESSCom) to carry out our enforcement work,” he told reporters after attending the Sabah police contingent assembly here today.
Jalaluddin said the curfew had also benefitted local fishermen whereby, they could carry out fishing activities in the presence of security forces who were on guard.
“That is why, we issue permits (for fishermen during curfew). When they go out to catch fish, we monitor them and they also act as our eyes and ears. Therefore, I request that the curfew be continued,” he said.
Jalaluddin first implemented the night curfew for two weeks, beginning July 19 last year. The two-week implementation has since been renewed 33 times.
On Thursday, the outgoing police commissioner will assume his new role as director of the integrity and standard compliance department in Bukit Aman.
On Jan 4, he will hand over the state police commissioner’s post to ESSCom Commander Datuk Abd Rashid Harun.
On activities of kidnapping for ransom in Sabah’s east coast, Jalaluddin reminded the security forces not to be complacent in their duties. The kidnappers are always looking for an opportunity. They are measuring our strength. If we reduce our strength or become careless, they will definitely come (to kidnap),” he said.- BERNAMA