KUALA LUMPUR: The High Court will hear on Feb 22 an application by Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim to strike out a paragraph in the statement of defence filed by Utusan Melayu (M) Bhd in the former opposition
leader’s defamation suit.
High Court Judge Datuk John Louis O’hara fixed the date in chambers after meeting Sangeet Kaur, counsel for Anwar, and Elly Azreen Khalid, counsel for Utusan Melayu, and Lim Qi Shi, counsel for Sistem Televisyen Malaysia (TV3). Sangeet Kaur told reporters the court ordered TV3 to furnish a recording and the transcript of the press conference held by former Barisan Nasional candidate for Permatang Pauh Dr Mazlan Ismail within two weeks from today.
Anwar, 64, had filed a suit on Oct 15 last year against Dr Mazlan, TV3 and Utusan Melayu for implying that he had bribed the judiciary and the Attorney-General’s Chambers.
Anwar claimed that Dr Mazlan had falsely and maliciously caused the defamatory statements to be published in the 8pm Buletin Utama broadcast over TV3 on Aug 2, 2013, and also published and distributed by Utusan Melayu in its Utusan Malaysia daily on Aug 3, 2013.
Anwar said the words implied that he was a person who is not ethical or professional, dishonest, immoral and a liar.
He said that due to the broadcasting and publication of the defamatory statements by the defendants, he was seriously defamed and brought to contempt and public ridicule and as a result he suffered loss and damage.
Anwar is seeking general, aggravated and exemplary damages and an injunction to prohibit the defendants from repeating the publication of the defamatory statements.- BERNAMA