GEORGE TOWN: Police have arrested four men in Bertam and Perai over an investigation into a firecracker explosion that damaged three
houses in Taman Sembilang, Seberang Jaya, near here on Jan 23.
Penang Police chief Datuk Seri Abdul Rahim Hanafi said the men, aged between 25 and 40, were arrested on separate occasions on Feb 7 and 9, and two of them were suspected to be ‘ah long’ or illegal moneylenders.
“Police are looking for two more men, in their 30s, also suspected to be involved in the incident that is believed to have stemmed from loans from ‘ah long’,” he told reporters after attending the Penang Police Contingent monthly assembly here today.
Powerful firecrackers in the shape of coconuts were hurled into the houses by two people on Jan 23 and the explosions damaged the front portions and windows of the dwellings, he said.
On another matter, Abdul Rahim said the investigation papers on the kidnap of two Bangladeshi men, aged 24 and 38, at the Butterworth bus station by six men on Jan 29 had almost been completed.
“Police have in remand five Malaysian men, five Myanmar men and an Indonesian woman, all aged between 20 and 40, until Feb 16 to facilitate
investigation. All those arrested, including the mastermind of the kidnap, had a role in it. Police are trying to recover the RM12,000 ransom paid by the victims’ families,” he said.
Police arrested 11 suspects on Feb 1 at several locations in the state and Kedah after the two victims were released in a forested area in Pinang Tunggal, Kepala Batas, once their families had paid the ransom.
Abdul Rahim also said that today’s monthly gathering was the last in Penang for him as he had been transfered to Perak effective tomorrow after almost four years of service in Penang.- BERNAMA