KOTA KINABALU: The prosecution in the Lahad Datu intrusion trial told the High Court here today that its final witness has yet to be located.
Deputy public prosecutor Mohd Dusuki Mokhtar said the prosecution had until today to close its case but was unable to do so because it was still determining the whereabouts of witness SAC Zulkifli Abd Aziz, a retired Special Branch
“The prosecution is applying for two weeks from today to call the witness while efforts are being made to locate him. If he cannot be located, we will produce evidence on our unsuccessful attempts,” he said.
Counsel for the 30 individuals being tried in the case had no objection to adjourn the case for two weeks.
Justice Stephen Chung fixed Jan 5 for resumption of the hearing.
The trial, at the Sabah Prisons Department, has gone on for 238 days since Jan 6 last year with 165 witnesses having testified.
Twenty-seven Filipinos and three local residents are facing one to multiple charges of being members of a terrorist group and waging war against the Yang di-Pertuan Agong.
They are also alleged to have recruited members for a terrorist group or willfully harboured individuals they knew to be members of a terrorist group.
The offences were allegedly committed between Feb 12 and April 10, 2013. – BERNAMA