Kota Kinabalu
Kota Kinabalu
Lahad Datu
Kota Belud

Sayang Sabah - The voice of Sabahans

Father dies saving his daughter


BALIK PULAU:  A man and his three-month-old daughter died in a fire which razed two houses in Kampung Nelayan, Teluk Kumbar near here early this morning.

Barat Daya district police chief Supt Lai Fah Hin said in the 2.15am incident, Nazri Zainal Abidin, 29, who had managed to run out to safety, dashed back into the burning house to save his only child, Damia Auliah Salsabila.

“The victim, a trader, however, was not so lucky the second time as he and his daughter were overcome by the blazing fire at the two-storey wooden house.  The house was occupied by the man, his wife and daughter, his mother-in-law as well as three nephews. Five of them were saved,” he told reporters.

He said the victim’s wife, in her 20s, sustained burns on her arm when running out of the house.

Lai said the body of the victim was found at the front door at about 3am after the fire was brought under control while his daughter’s body was found in a baby cot upstairs.

He said the charred remains of both victims were sent to the Balik Pulau Hospital for post-mortem while the victim’s wife was also treated at the hospital.

Balik Pulau Fire and Rescue operations head Norashikin Md Isa said the department received an emergency call at 2.17 am and the first fire engine arrived at the location 20 minutes later.

“When the fire brigade arrived, the fire had spread but we succeeded in preventing the flames from spreading to other houses before bringing it under control at 3am,” she said.

She said 50 firemen and two fire engines as well as six voluntary firemen were involved in fighting the fire and the cause was still under investigation.

Meanwhile, the victim’s mother-in-law Che Gayah Mat Rawi, 76, said she was alerted of the fire by shouts and loud noise outside the house.

“I got up and woke up my three grandchildren sleeping on the ground floor before running to safety,” she said.

She said moments later, her daughter and son-in-law who were sleeping on the first floor also managed to get out of the burning house before he entered the house again after realising his daughter had been left behind.

“The fire was already raging dangerously when Nazri went into the house to save his daughter and we felt very uneasy then. My daughter also tried to enter the house but was held back by firemen as it was too dangerous. I was very sad when firemen brought the bodies of my son-in-law and granddaughter,” she said. – BERNAMA


Berita Berkaitan