Kota Kinabalu
Kota Kinabalu
Sandakan
Tawau
Lahad Datu
Keningau
Putatan
Semporna
Kudat
Papar
Ranau
Beaufort
Kota Belud

Sayang Sabah - The voice of Sabahans

Dry spell effects Tawau

Tawau Region
Tawau Region

TAWAU:  The current dry spell in Tawau has caused the level of the river water at the Utara treatment plant to drop by about 50 per cent, hence affecting more than 20,000 consumers in the district.

Tawau water engineer, Bahrin Antonio, said the drop in the river water level had resulted in a drop in water production of 25 million litres of water daily.

“This is the worst since the El-nino in 1999,” he told reporters when met at the water plant here today.

He said the areas affected by the drop in water production at the Utara plant were Jalan Apas from Batu 1 to Batu 11, Sin Onn, Air Panas and Bandar Sri Indah.

Bahrin said efforts were being made to get assistance from the Water Department in Lahad Datu and Kunak to get tanker lorries to supply water to consumers in the affected areas.

However, he said the situation had yet to reach a critical stage as the Loji plant catered for only 30 per cent of the consumers in Tawau, while the remaining 70 per cent obtained their water supply from the Cintamata plant.- BERNAMA

Komen


Berita Berkaitan