KOTA KINABALU: Curfew command in Eastern Sabah Security Zone (ESSZONE) which is enforced until this 14 March will be extended from 15 March to 29 March.
Sabah Police Commissioner, Datuk Jalaluddin Abdul Rahman, said the curfew starts at 7.00pm until 5.00am in the designated area along ESSZONE waters covering three nautical miles from the coastline.
“Sabah Police Commissioner and Home Ministry’s jurisdictions are as stipulated in Police Act 1967 according to Section 31 (4), in declaring the curfew command which will end on 14 March is to be extended, starting this Sunday and will end on 29 March.
“The decision is made based on factors to safeguard the security and well-being of tourists, and especially the people of Sabah in ESSZONE area,” he said in his statement, here today.
Jalaluddin said, it is also to facilitate enforcement, observing boats movements which may be involved with cross-border crimes, tackling human and drugs trafficking, and preventing weapon smuggling.
He added that the move had receive the support of chalet owners and fishermen as it will guarantee the security of the scattered islands and waters near the border.
Authority had been given to all police station chiefs in ESSZONE to issue permits to individuals who may need to do fishing and other water-based activities. – SayangSabah