KUALA LUMPUR: The action to block The Sarawak Report is a positive move taken by the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) on the web portal that can threaten national order for carrying unsubstantiated contents.
Communication and Multimedia Minister Datuk Seri Ahmad Shabery Cheek said MCMC could use similar preventive approaches in addressing other matters that could cause public anxiety through unsubstantiated contents.
“Unsubstantiated contents are like virus that can kill. MCMC should have been more firm in adddressing it,” he told Bernama here today.
He was commenting on the action taken by MCMC yesterday to block The Sarawak Report portal http://www.sarawakreport.org because it was found to have threatened national security following public complaints that it was carrying contents that could not be substantiated.
The Sarawak Report is blocked under Section 211 and Section 233 of the Communication and Multimedia Act 1998.
The portal will remain blocked until the special task force ends its investigations.
Citing the fight at Low Yat Plaza last July 12, Ahmad Shabery said it was latest example that internet media usage was being indiscriminately used to the detriment of the people and country.
Some 27 individuals were arrested, including blogger Papagomo or his actual name Wan Mohd Azri Wan Deris, and had been released on police bail.
The incident at the plaza occurred on July 11 after a 22-year-old man was caught by a worker of shop selling communication gadgets for allegedly stealing a mobile phone worth RM800.
The following day, irresponsible parties took to the social media spreading racially inclined contents that resulted in the fight.- BERNAMA