SANDAKAN: Electrocuted fireman Apolos Jeremos was buried today in his home village in Entilibon, Tongod.
The 25-year-old Apolos was electrocuted by illegally installed electric cables as a fire-fighting team was putting out a bush fire near Taman Kenari at the 7th Mile on Monday.
Besides family members and relatives, Apolos’ colleagues from the Sandakan Fire and Rescue Department also attended the burial ceremony.
Sandakan Fire and Rescue Department chief Anddre Andrew said all of them at the department were saddened by the loss of Apolos.
“He was a dedicated, diligent, disciplined and devoted individual who was a keen learner,” he told Bernama.
Anddre said Apolos was committed to saving people and that he was selected to serve with the Special Tactical Operation Rescue Malaysia (STORM) unit that was engaged in rescue work following the earthquake in Ranau.
Meanwhile, in KOTA KINABALU, Sabah Electricity Sdn Bhd (SESB) said it conducted hundreds of operations to curb electricity theft and illegal cable extensions at squatter settlements each year, but such illegal activities persisted.
In a statement today, SESB said the agency had been expressing its concern via the print and electronic media on the dangers of electricity theft and illegal cable extensions in squatter settlements.
“The existing regulations are limited and, as such, the SESB enforcement is ineffective in stopping people from stealing electricity,” it said.- BERNAMA